Grilled Squash & Pineapple

Sunday, March 16, 2014



My next recipes are all paleo recipes adapted from 

Diane Sanfilippo's Practical Paleo cookbook.

Here is the first in a three-part series.

Grilled squash & pineapple. 

If this doesn't get you ready for summer, I don't know what will.


Ingredients:

1 whole butternut squash
1/2 of a pineapple, skinned and sliced into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1-2 T Smoky Spice Blend 
Sea salt to taste
1/4 cup shredded coconut for garnish

Smoky Spice Blend (yields 5 T):
1 T chipotle powder (I didn't have this)
1 T smoked paprika
1 T onion powder
1/2 T cinnamon (I used 1T)
1 T sea salt
1/2 T black pepper

(i also added ginger...no idea why, but it tasted good)




Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

I bought a cored pineapple, so just sliced it into thick pieces. I then cut my squash in half and placed both on a baking sheet in the oven for 30 minutes.

This softened the squash enough for me to remove its skin, gut it,
and cut it into one-inch pieces. 

I then placed both the pineapple (I flipped it) and the squash bake in the oven for 30 minutes to continue roasting (or until tender). 


Once the roasting was complete,  I melted coconut oil and drizzled it on my carbs. 

I then lightly sprinkled the seasoning mix over it. 

We have a griddle in the house which worked perfectly for this occasion
 (thank you wedding shower gift from my mother-in-law). 




I grilled each side for about five minutes, or until the grill marks appeared. 


It looked and smelled delicious!

I did happen to have shredded coconut in the house so I tossed
a little on the top for garnish purposes. 


This meal was hubby approved. 

Can't beat grilled pineapple in the winter.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs