Marathon

Monday, March 24, 2014





What motivates you?

In high school my middle school track coach made the mistake of telling his "athlete" [me] that she "wasn't a distance runner." 

I remember volunteering to attempt the 2-mile run when one of our team's regulars was ill. My events were usually hurdles, triple jump, the 4x4, and either shot put or another random event. No...I didn't TYPICALLY run distance, but that didn't mean I COULDN'T or wasn't willing to try my best.

He laughed at me and then essentially ignored the offer. He ended up spending the rest of the day frantically trying to coerce another student to run the race.

I was, what... 13 or 14 years old, tops. That stuff sticks with you.

I vowed to prove him wrong one day, and my mission was a full marathon.

I ran the first 2/3 amazingly well. The last 1/3 was a struggle, but I finished the 26.2 miles.

I trained daily for five months. I found a training schedule online for novice runners and just went after it. I luckily was never ill in five months time and never missed a training day ... rain, snow, or shine (mostly snow). My longest training run was 20 miles and I did well with it. Too bad for me I didn't train on any hills as that is what "killed" me on the actual race day. It was a great experience and one I will never forget.

It happened to be Memorial Day weekend. All my friends and family had come to watch me run, jog, trot...whatever you want to call it (I think that was my progression through the race). Talk about dedicated support to watch me run for hours. My mom said it was actually one of the funnest days she's ever had. I managed to convince my sister and friend to wear running clothes in case I needed support. They ran the last 6 miles with me. And to top it off, my best friend rocked her first half marathon that day too! After the run, about 30 people made their way back to my place for a pot-luck. What an awesome day.

And to think ... it all started with someone telling me what HE believed I couldn't do ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs